Supervisor, Production – Spinning
Location: Moore, SC
Posted: February 16, 2021
Provide leadership, training, and direct supervision to a production team responsible for the production of carbon fiber precursor. Responsibilities include maintaining a high awareness of quality, safety, and teamwork within the team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow all plant safety rules and report any unsafe conditions immediately.
- Operate a wide variety of chemical processing equipment to manufacture carbon fiber precursor.
- Assist technicians with daily operations on the process floor.
- Prepare and adjust operations schedule and coordinate manufacturing activities to ensure production meets specifications.
- Review, complete, and file daily production records and data. This includes quality records, inventory, production statistics, work orders, and general process information. Collect information as required.
- Monitor and adjust process conditions on the Distributive Control System (DCS).
- Issue instructions, delegate assignments, and ensure proper completion of daily tasks including coordination of tasks between departments or other shifts.
- Inspect the process line for possible problems or items in need of attention. This includes any machinery or raw materials that need adjustments to maintain quality product or a safe work environment.
- Responsible for issuing incident reports for process, safety or other problems.
- Prepare and initiate training requirements for the team including safety classes, procedure updates, and recertification of necessary job tasks pertaining to Company requirements.
- Audit work instructions and initiate changes when necessary.
- Maintain and update personnel files and data. This includes updating and tracking timecards, scheduling vacation and holiday leave, informing technicians of policy and procedure changes, and maintaining files for review purposes.
- Communicate with shift members and handle any personal or team issues, problems, or questions that may be present.
- Develop timesaving methods and ideas for process improvements including computer programs and check sheets or procedure changes.
- All other duties as assigned.
Skills and Specifications
- Working knowledge of MS Word and Excel.
- Problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to work 12 hour rotating shift schedule.
- Ability to appropriately handle stress and work well under pressure.
- Ability to communicate, interact and work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to adapt and conform to shifting priorities and demands and execute accordingly.
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Ability to work overtime as assigned.
- Ability to drive during the workday and/or travel as required.
- Ability to comply with all company policies and procedures.
Education and Qualifications
- Must meet Toray CMA minimum WorkKeys score requirements in Workplace Documents, Graphic Literacy, Applied Mathematics and Applied Technology.
- Three years to five years of similar or related experience.
- A two-year college degree; or completion of a specialized course of study at a business or trade school.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience is required in lieu of the stated education and experience requirements.
- This position involves working with technologies and information which are subject to U.S. export control regulations. Under these regulations, Toray CMA must review certain candidate information including citizenship, basis of United States work authorization and country of origin. This information would be used for export control screening purposes only.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear, walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, taste and smell. The employee must frequently lift or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts, and is frequently exposed to wet, humid or hot conditions. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment can be loud. Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment as required, including full face respirator in the Spinning and Carbonization production areas.
Reasonable accommodations, if requested, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities, absent undue hardship.