Engineer I, Industrial
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posted: October 28, 2019
Provide analytical support and coordination for supply chain operations. Contribute to the improvement of supply chain efficiency, yield improvement, and cost analysis. Responsible for planning activities and capacity analysis. Duties and Responsibilities
- Verify all preconditions of the current supply chain model and use this information to develop and maintain a more robust model to be used in the creation of budgets and future capacity and cost studies.
- Forecast future requirements, ensuring that targets may be achieved in a cost effective manner.
- Anticipate changing optimization goals and make appropriate changes to the model.
- Develop and administer planning models and reports that support customer demands.
- Conduct inventory capacity studies for inventory optimization and to improve future equipment and manpower process flows.
- Through shop floor Gemba, identify and implement improvements by coordinating with suppliers and other departments.
- Prepare annual supply chain plan for budgeting and purchasing requirements.
- Review month-end inventory cost data for accuracy and reasonableness; projections and self-effort analysis. Highlight areas of opportunity for cost improvement based on the results of this analysis.
- Work as part of the team for ongoing system enhancements and modifications; opportunities for process automation; forecasting methodologies; trending analysis and budget process.
- Conduct space layout analysis, material flow and expansion scope activities to support expansion projects.
- Leads kaizen/continuous improvement events as required to support objectives.
- Uses Lean Six Sigma and TOC principles to accomplish objectives and sustain improvements.
- Conducts training in Lean, Six Sigma and TOC principles.
- Coordinates with work teams to identify operating improvement opportunities.
- Serves as internal consultant and participant to team based improvement projects.
- Assist in the joint responsibility of maintaining a safe working environment and implementing safe operating procedures to ensure an accident-free record.
- Assist in the preparation of rate readiness and other capacity studies.
Skills and Specifications
- Ability to utilize/operate a computer, peripheral equipment and appropriate software, including a high level of Microsoft Excel programming knowledge and experience.
- Working knowledge of statistical quality control.
- Familiarity with Total Quality Management.
- Ability to set priorities.
- Ability to foster teamwork.
- Must be able to get along well with diverse personalities and cultures.
- Ability to develop close working relationships with other departments.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or closely related equivalent degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment, educational courses in business management, experience in a raw material “converting” industry, and/or experience with an enterprise-wide manufacturing information system preferred.
- This position involves working with technologies and information which are subject to U.S. export control regulations. Under these regulations, Toray CMA must review certain candidate information including citizenship, basis of United States work authorization and country of origin. This information would be used for export control screening purposes only.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Position requires the ability to read, write, speak and understand English at a level necessary to successfully perform assigned responsibilities. Ability to analyze data and problem solve at a high level. Ability to utilize interpersonal and teamwork skills, perform advanced mathematical computations, follow directions and to understand and apply work specifications in the completion of work tasks. The ability to hear, speak, use hands/fingers and the repetitive motions of hands/wrists are frequent. Ability to occasionally lift up to 10 pounds. Vision abilities require the adjustment and focus of sight. Ability to be physically mobile and to occasionally walk within the facility. Climbing of stairs is required. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation.